Sunday, September 29, 2013

Boldly Going Nowhere

These days, I have the attention span of a gnat. It's ridiculous. I don't read, unless I am skimming. I take that back. I do read internet message boards with intensity. Ugh. Ridiculous.

However, in an attempt to get back into being a regular reader, I did check out The Okinawan Program from the library. I also bought the Okinawan Diet Plan. The former is about the lifestyle of the Okinawans, and this includes their diet. The later, the Okinawan Diet Plan, is solely about the diet.

I actually prefer the "Program", because it mentions other things in the lives of the Okinawans that keep them slim and healthy. Martial arts was one of them. Many Okinawans practice martial arts. Martial arts, even Tai Chi, are healthy for us because they have the ability to work the whole body.

Personally, I like cycling and jumping on a mini trampoline. but I realize that those activities only work the lower body muscles (the legs). However, I do try to throw in yoga as much as possible in order to work my whole self. Yogilates is another one that I like to do, because it really works your core.\

The other things the book mentions are their low stress lifestyle, strong social supports, spirituality, etc. Their are many factors that make a person healthy. And all of these factors have given the Okinawans long lives, low cancer rates, and low heart attack rates. I'm horrible with numbers, but they are the healthiest people on the planet. Wish I could cite some percentages. But I'm lazy. You can all do that yourselves.

I will close with this piece of wisdom. The Okinawans believe that you can't call it a meal unless there is rice. So eat lots of brown rice! White rice is fine, but eating brown rice regularly packs plenty of fiber and other nutrients. Brown rice used to be a staple in Okinawa before they could all afford the nice, sticky white stuff. But that sticky white stuff is not nearly as good for us. So go brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment